Saturday 15 November 2008

Phillips get's England call-up


Amy Phillips of Aylestone St. James has been selected in the final 34 girl squad for England’s Under 20 Women’s Rugby Union team. The 18 year old from Stoneygate has been playing rugby since she was eight when she used to play for Oadby Wyggstonians. Unfortunately Amy had to give up playing rugby when she was aged 12 as she was not allowed to play with the lads due to mixed sex rules. Still keen to follow in the sport she took a tag coaching badge and helped with her local under 7s team.


A girl from school told Amy about Aylestone St. James’s girls team called ‘Jimmies Angels’ when she was 13. They welcomed her with open arms and she has never looked back. Alison Foster from Aylestone St. James said: “Everyone from the club is so proud of her, she has done so well and it is a great achievement for her. We always knew she could one day achieve such a high level”.


Amy is still coaching youngsters at tag level in Tugby and wants to peruse a career in teaching. When speaking to Amy she said:”I’d like to thank everyone at Jimmies for helping me get to this level, my teachers at Beauchamp College and most of all my family, as they drive me all over the country so I can play the sport I love. It’s been a great week as my birthday was last week and this is the best birthday present I could have asked for”.


She now has a busy year ahead of her for club and maybe one day country. Alylestone St. James are in the newly formed NLD league and are both currently undefeated this year at under 15s and the under 18s level. Jimmies Angles are always looking for new girls to take up the sport and maybe one day emulate the same success of Amy.


"I have made so many great friends from playing rugby all over the country and I would advise any girl just to come along and have a go”.


If you are interested in playing girls rugby and are in-between the ages 12 to 18 call Alison Foster 0116 212 1932.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have only known Amy for the last year but I know from this that she has a great future ahead of her. She is an Inspiration to all the girls at Jimmies and I know my own daughter has learnt alot from training with Amy.